Thursday, November 05, 2009

NO MORE SHOTS!!!!!!!

Nate resting with Neshie after a long day!

It’s a long story that started back at Nate’s four year checkup Mom he said "I don’t want any more shots” My reply “ Don’t worry Nathan you will not need any more shots until you are five and getting on the big school bus to go to school with your friend Mallory” His eyes got wide and he decided that a ride on the school bus would be worth it. Okay, I had no idea we would be faced with a flu pandemic that would occupy that local and evening news every night sending any parent into a panic to vaccinate against every virus known to man. So a few weeks ago I figured ahhh lets just get the seasonal flu shot, its just one shot and with the shortage of the H1N1 vaccine he will forget by the time it comes out. Well he didn’t like it and he really didn’t like the fact that I took him back a week later for the H1N1 vaccine. I said “ Its for your own good, and no more shots I PROMISE” Fast forward one week later when I decide we should try Peanut butter and Jelly at feeding therapy. He told me he had tried it at school and although he had an allergic reaction when he was about a year old to a peanut butter cup, the pediatrician told me with time he would likely outgrow it. I guess I should have asked “HOW LONG?” Like a good mother we fed him the PB &J and I dropped him back at school. Within 30 minutes I was called to pick him up for a tummy ache. My mommy sense was going off and I had a feeling. I came home when things went from bad to worse and I knew we had to get to the hospital. I know now I pretty much did everything they tell you not to do in this video
http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=132&title=if_my_child_has_an_allergic_reaction

but as he lay in bed and I say “ Nate I think we need to get you some medicine and he says “BUT NO SHOTS” Stupid me what was I thinking I say yeah of course not. As I drive at the speed of light to the ER of course no cops to be found and we get there, still stupid me not understanding the severity of the situation see the waiting room and think geeze I hope we don’t have to wait too long. I tell the girl at the desk the problem she promptly tells Nathan to open his mouth and she tells the girl we need to get him into a bed now. We get back to a bed and doctors says as loud as he can “Someone get his weight and get him a SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! “It was then that I looked at Nate and Nate looked at me with this face like how could you lady, I have had enough of this. I tried to calm him and reassure him thinking if this kid starts crying he not going to be able to breathe. Well it wasn’t long before three nurses came to give the shot and of course it had to be done in the leg. After the first shot of epinephrine he needed a breathing treatment a few more slower acting meds and then yes just around 4:30 he started get worse, so of course the doctors says “GET HIM ANOTHER SHOT”! The second shot did the trick and Nate was on the mend in no time. As we sat and waited to be discharged we saw a little girl about Nates age who had been badly burned. I told Nate she would have to get lots of shots and she would not be so lucky as to go home that night. Nate has such a big heart he told me it was okay that he got shots and that he hoped that little girl felt better soon.
Caitlin did great during our 4 hour ordeal in the ER she was dressed in her princess dress which the guys really liked scoring us ice water and even coloring books. She cried once because a mean nurse told her she couldn't do ballet in the middle of the ER. She insisted on sleeping with Nate last night to make sure he was okay.

2 comments:

cathie Opava said...

Amy that is a really cute picture of Nate & Gnesh,we were glad to meet you leaving the er! Wanted to say thanks too for the previous weekend when they came for a sleepover and hope we can do it again soon.
Carl watched some of the coverage on Saturday of the USS New York,Carli and I looked for you but couldn't see you,she was quite disappointed. Safe journey home.Love Mum

Gwen said...

Yikes, you guys hve been through a lot latley. Glad Nate is doing better and that you could teach him compassion for others as a lesson through all of this. Good thing his has his princess siter by his side :)