Tuesday, May 15, 2012
BOAT!
BOATS!!!
Well time for an Owen update. I don’t think I will ever forget this one but lets blog it anyway. One of Owen’s only words and the only word that he uses consistently is Boat! It sounds like BOOOOAAA. If you have ever been to Eastern NC you know that most of the people don’t have much but everyone has a boat. Every single time Owen sees a boat he yells BOAT! It never gets old and on a single car ride he can see more than fifty! As for Owen and speech it’s still slow going. He doesn’t use words to communicate but does sign and he is trying at times. The more speech therapy we have and the more research I do the more I feel this may be Apraxia rather than just a delay which is a bit unsettling as you just have no idea how and when speech will become “easy”. I am still keeping my fingers crossed that it is the latter but it’s not looking good. There are many basic sounds that he can’t do and he really has trouble moving his mouth and well we have word loss, which are all hallmarks of Apraxia. I really noticed it this week when the speech therapist tried to get him to say a two syllable word and he was not even close. Although Apraxia is not diagnosed until age three so we will just keep working at it and hope for the best. This week he has said “ That”, “Up” and “Hot” now if we can keep these words and use them is the real test.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment