Monday, October 14, 2013

Our almost camping adventure!

Well as of Friday I  had reservations for campsites at not one but two State campgrounds. The kids wanted camping and so I did well or at least I thought I did. It was time , it had been years and so with help from Lindsay of course. She did all the grocery shopping, laundry done and long weekend there were no excuses. On Sunday bright and early we would head out to Bear Island destination number UNO , well the weather called for high winds and thunderstorms and well I don't go outside in thunderstorms much less camp so Bear Island was not looking good. Then there was a small part of me that wanted to see a mountain or at least head West and so at work on Friday I did a little research and decided on Hanging Rock State Park.  It was Open, check, had many available campsites on a Sunday night and many kid friendly hiking trails. Well or so I thought HAHAHAHa
On Saturday evening we decided Bear Island was out so we packed for Hanging Rock well I had a feeling it was all to easy as packing took about 15 minutes so we set out on Sunday morning I was a bit skeptical that I had it all together. Okay It took four hours to get there the first two hours Owen asked nonstop if we could go home. The kid really does not like to go away from home. We convinced him we were going to see a mountain and so then for the next two hours he asked if we were going to see a Mountain or maybe a Volcano? Are we having fun yet. We arrived at 1:00 pm, and it was awesome. Weather was great! We hiked and as you know there are two sides to every hiking trail , Owen was always on the side in which one wrong step and he would fall off the mountain. As he skipped and ran up and down the mountains falling on every rock as he didn't watch were he went I figured in no time he would loose his steam and then I wouldn't have to worry about him acting like a crazy lunatic ! Well that never happened this kid makes the energizer bunny look bad! Anyway after hiking we headed back to set up camp. I started dinner and just as we got the tent set up it started raining, no problem , dinner in the tent until it was over. Only one small problem the tent was leaking like a sieve and I mean leaking. It was raining in the tent.  Our option was to drive an hour down the hill and get a tarp at which point by the time we got back everyone would be sleeping and if it kept raining we couldn't do a camp fire anyway or just call it a wash and next time bring the tent doesn't leak. We opted for option B put everyone in the car, Carl drove us all the way home and here we are on Monday morning, missing our cool campsite but next time we will be ready for anything!!!!  How did the kids feel, well Owen was sleeping before we even left the campground and slept the entire way home. Caitlin was laughing in pure Caitlin style and Nate just wanted some Chicken nuggets from Wendy's and all was well in the world!
Here are the pictures.
 Lots of waterfalls, okay I only hiked the trails to waterfalls. There were lots of trails but we only hit three hikes, we were planning some for today oh well, next time next time!

 Nate and Daddy!
 Owen walking home!





 Our campsite before we unloaded
 Having fun!



 It was so cool before the rain :(
 The leaves were beautiful
 Heading home booo hoo


Good times had by all!

No comments: